Thread: Virgil Donati
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Virgil Donati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-a-tat-tat View Post
I said SOMETIMES KIND OF ON THE VERGE of being sloppy. that's a far cry from: Virgil Donati's always sloppy. I think a machine can be sloppy. would you trust a robot in a car factory to change a baby's diaper? a mecanical device can sometimes be built NOT to display tender nuances and so forth. I like Virgil's drumming a lot. but nobody's beyond criticism.
I never said Virgil was beyond criticism. I know that for a lot of people his playing comes off as stale... That is their feeling towards his drumming and that perfectly fine. But aside that subjectivity there is a certain objectivity when talking about the drums and music. My point is simply that Virgil is one of the most solid drummers around. His whole philosophy/approach is based upon the perfection execution of rhythms and he is flawless in that domain. That is what made Virgil's popularity in the first place."Semetimes kind of the verge" is an expression that I do not really understand, and I do not understand the analogy with a robot changing a diaper. Where does that relate with the execution of rhythms?

I hope you're not taking this the wrong way. I'm not yelling or anything. So I hope I'm not coming off as so. It's just that I have been following Virgil for many years and really, he is nowhere near sloppy, not even on the verge of it.