Thread: Provoke Change
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Provoke Change

I consider a fair price to be one that covers both the artists and the record company's cost with a profit substantial enough to encourage and develop the artists signed to the company and to further interest in the artists in order to obtain a sustainable market and the companies' self-perpetuation as a result whilst still being affordable to the consumer at which it is aimed - teenagers being the baseline. It's also in the interest of the record companies to lower their own prices, but this won't happen with the current market - luckily it's in a state of revolution. Independent labels CAN lower the prices if you understand the general business model of independent as opposed to major labels and this influx of independent labels will hopefully not only cheapen the production of records (using smaller studios rather than those owned by the record companies - which are cheaper but of equal quality) but also the promotion with the use of the Internet.

Unfortunately, the record companies are charging far too much due to the fact that they have to pay a lot of salaried middlemen which have nothing to do with music. Not the case with independent labels. Read my post and this is all explained; I like a good debate and I firmly believe in a more direct financial lines from record sales to the artist, rather than the convoluted system we have now.