View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ironwood drum set

CONVERSION OF STANDARD PEDAL TO LONGBOARD

I'll post more detail on the hardware modification thread at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23501. In the meantime, here is how I modified a DW5000 into a longboard.

Fourstrings lamented the ridiculous expense of DW longboard and I popped off about how I could convert a standard into a longboard - he called my bluff and I had to try it just to see if I could. Total cost: $2 in bolts, $5 in shop costs, $30 for labor, about two hours of time for work and planning. Basically, I removed the heel plate and joined it to the footboard with a gusset, then attached the hinge to the heel plate.

The hardest part was fabricating the gusset. I sawed off a chunk of half-inch-thick steel plate. It's overkill, but it's what I had handy and you will never ever have to worry about the gusset failing. After careful measuring, I drilled holes to mount it to the heel plate and foot plate (you can see the smoke from the burning thread oil).

This is the only permanent modification I had to make to the pedal, drilling a couple of holes to re-mount the hinge. Other than this, the mod is completely reversible.

The gusset was ground and scrubbed clean, then painted and mounted.

As used in the set.

I have to admit I'm not too fond of the action of a longboard. I've strictly played a standard pedal for 25 years so the longboard feels weird. I imagine if I'd started with a longboard it would feel normal. So I will probably reverse this at some point, but at least I can say I did it and tried it out.