Thread: SKA!
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 PM

Default Re: SKA!

the specials yes, madness yes, reel big fish yes. sublime no no no no; horrible. desmond dekker yes. the skatalites yes. fishbone yes! the mighty mighty bosstones were perhaps the masters of punk/ska hybridism. i must warn you though: to punks and skins, ska is sacred territory. and there is a real tendency for ska bands to suck royally (mainly because they don't really know what it is, how to play it, or the variations of it, the history of it). i say play it. learn it. but don't stick around too long. it's fairly easy to get stuck in that whole ska/clown kinda thing. i mean there are guys who are rudies or scooter boys or actual skins who are totally immersed in that lifestyle and play the ska thing and do it right. then there are the guys who think it's cool and know nothing about it and get into a "ska" band and it's a disaster. believe it or not, gwen stefani was in a band called 'no doubt' and they claimed to be ska. ya it was as far as some of the elements employed in their music but as far as being taken seriously as a ska band by those who hold that kind of thing dear (skins for sure): no, they were not. they just looked like a bunch of idiots in braces playing a bad prankish kind of impersonation . . . good luck.

Last edited by Matt-a-tat-tat; 04-11-2008 at 09:32 PM.