View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 02:33 PM

Default Re: The Grand Master Buddy Rich

Here's my 2-cent Buddy story: I had seen Buddy in various Modern Drummer articles and ads, also the classic Ludwig posters at all the music stores when I first started playing. I knew he was an icon but really didn't know why. Here I was studying Neil Peart and John Bonham thinking "who's this old dude they call buddy?" Well, I got a cold smack in the face one fine winter day in early 1984 at my high school. Buddy came there and my mom bought several front row seats for the show. So, the band started playing some tunes, then buddy did a solo and I was like "wow, this guy is great!". Then, the band took an intermission, they played a few more tunes, then what I was about to witness would change the way I look at drumming and age forever. Biddy went into another solo. This was the REAL solo, though. That cat did the most amazing solo I've ever seen in my life. He made the fastest rock drummers look like they were in slow motion. His agility and awe-inspiring technique was almost unearthly. I couldn't shake his hand. The guy wasn't human. I loved the way he used creativity to create more sonic possibilities rather than adding more toms and cymbals like so many others. I still to this day have not seen a recorded buddy rich solo I perceive to be as incredible as the one I saw with my own two eyes that night. Maybe it was just my mind playing tricks on me, but I don't care. It was the single best drumming performance in my mind, and it's my favorite musical memory which I'll never forget. That guy was old as dirt, ragged-out looking as could be, and I couldn't for the life of me understand how he could move so fast, in a sweaty blurr of drumsticks. Hope some of you who didn't see buddy in person enjoyed my story...

http://SmashinJack.com