View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
See, this is what it's all about. The gentle ribbing.

Actually, England have started playing the expansive game recently. Unfortunately as usual the steel has dulled and we don't quite have the neatness in the backs that we need (especially defensively) to have the killer blow. Sackey is an awesome attacking player, for instance, but sometimes lacks the defensive mindset. But another three years and nine months or so to go.

I heard vaguely about these new rules a few months ago and did some reading yesterday. Not so sure I like the idea of collapsing mauls (having been in a few, it doesn't exactly feel safe if you know what I mean) but generally I'm in favour. They'd make it more interesting certainly and I'd like to see some of the Super 14 games with these rules; let's see how it goes.
After last night's Warratahs vs Hurricanes game, I'm loving it even more. There are lots of stolen ball and some huge hits. Even the Hurricane's, regarded as S14s fittest team, were slowing down by the end of the game. Jerry Collins, who slimmed down to 105kg for the new laws, was battling with the sheer physicality of the game.

The maul law is good I think. It was getting too ridiculous; a team would start a maul and there's nothing the other team can really do to stop it. There was no injuries that I know of caused by it in the local comp here last year, so I think it'll be ok.