View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
OK, rather than start a new thread I thought we'd just continue on the RWC one. Super-14 2008 is already upon us, with the first game starting in 4 hours, that being the Brumbies vs The Crusaders.

First of all, '08 will be the best year yet as the Stellenbosh laws are being used. You are going to see fast, agressive, and flowing rugby, probably an extra 100 odd tackles per game and some seriously big hits. I'm really looking forward to seeing the now 94kg and just turned 19 year old Kurltey Beale in his second year of S14, after winning player of the tournement in the (late) Mazda Australian Rugby Championships. Big things to come, me thinks.

Secondly, Katman, are you a Sharks or a Bulls man? I say this because I saw that Frederick Michalak will make his S14 debut for the Sharks against the Force tomorrow. That's a nice pickup there.

Hopefully the Reds will do Ok this season and see at least half of their senior players fit at any given time; a luxery they certainly didn't get to enjoy last year. I'd really like to see them get over the Highlanders tonight.

Anyways, let the games begin!
Hey, what a good idea to revive this thread.

I'm neither a Sharks or a Bulls man. I'm a Lions man. and it looks like we're in for a LONG season. Injuries and transfers have cost us all our Springboks and we have very little depth to fall back on. I'm praying for some kind of miracle.

I'm looking forward to see Michalak run out for the Sharks. There is concern over an injury though and he is bracketed in together with Francois Steyn at flyhalf. If he plays, Steyn will probably shift to fullback. Either way, both are fantastic players. In fact, the Sharks are our best bet this year with an almost all-Springbok backline and a monster pack.

I'm heading down to Newlands tomorrow to watch the Stormers play the Bulls. For over a hundred years this North-South fixture has been our local rugby's biggest rivalry and I have never seen a bigger build-up than this one. It's going to be war. I'm not a Stormers fan, but on Saturday I will be. Anything but those arrogant Bulls. Scenes from Gangs of New York in Cape Town's southern suburbs tomorrow :)

And I'm also keen to see if Beale can live up to all the hype. He's certainly got his fair share of discussion over here. I must admit, I fear for your Reds as much as I fear for my Lions. Can't see either of them going all the way. Ditto for the Highlanders and the Cheetahs. Teams to watch, in my opinion, are the Blues, Crusaders, Force and Sharks.