View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Pat Petrillo here!

Hello Pat

As many already have done in this thread, I want to congratulate you for “Hands grooves and fills”. I’ve been working with it for a couple of months and I feel it brings a lot to my playing. I spend most of my time in the “Hands” section so far. I must confess that I was a bit skeptical about the Rudiment Tab System at the beginning. It took me a while to try these combos, but once I did, I was hooked right away. I have done a lot of hands work with Stick Control and Master Studies, but I never really practiced rudiments per se. Your various combos are now a big part of my routine. Your super-clean demos of these on the CD constitute a good learning utility and… a stimulating target.

I also like your warm-ups. Simple and efficient. I have a question about the opening text of that section where you mention that every exercise should be maxxed to the fastest tempo possible, until “we feel the burn” … This somehow comes in contradiction with the idea of “always stay relaxed”, “always remain at a comfortable tempo”, etc. that we see in many other textbooks. Do you feel that pushing the limit like you suggest in the warm-ups applies also to the other sections of the book? Was this approach suggested to you by a teacher, or does it come from your personal learning and teaching experiences?

Or, in other words... Do you feel that speed comes from.... pushing the tempo like that ? ... Gaining control at slower tempos ? ... Both ?

Thanks for your time, and thanks as well for that great package.

Last edited by shuffle; 02-13-2008 at 08:57 PM.