Thread: Tre' Cool
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 06:14 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Tre' Cool

I consider myself a "good" drummer, in the loosest sense of the word, and I like to acquaint myself with all types of music. It's always good to have an open mind towards other genres, which include punk. While punk might not be my favorite style to play, it has its moments for me, and for the most part, it just feels good! It might not require the chops you hear in jazz fusion and progressive rock, but it still requires a certain amount of skill, eg. being able to play simple beats at high bpm, having good hi-hat foot skills, being able to NOT OVERPLAY, which for me, is a big problem in the drum world right now. But that's another story. There's a time and a place for heavy chops and technicality, but in certain genres, like punk, its not called for. Enter Tre Cool. I'm fairly sure he's a good drummer by any means, but whats important here is that he's playing what he likes in the music he likes. I'm sure he has chops and technique that would surprise most of us if we were to see them all. After all, he's been drumming for Green Day for almost 15 years... you have to have a certain high level of skill to show for after drumming professionally for that long.

Summary: Tre is good!