Thread: Jeff Porcaro
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Jeff Porcaro "On Every Street"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretschgal1 View Post
THE FOLLOWING is taken from the website "Jeff Porcaro Session Tracks"

--Dire Straits / On Every Street (Warner, 1991)
No track specific credits; 1 of 2 drummers (also Manu Katche); known to be on*)
Track list: *Calling Elvis - On every street - When it comes to you - Fade to black - The bug - You and your friend - Heavy fuel - Iron hand - Ticket to heaven - *My parties - Planet of New Orleans - How long

SOMEWHERE, I believe Keltner credited Jeff with "Heavy Fuel" --in an interview after Jeff passed away. I'll keep looking for that.
OBNOTE: I looked on my copy of "Sultans of Swing/Best of..." and both Jeff and Manu are credited but not for particular tunes. I DO BELIEVE Jeff played on "the Bug" from "On Every Street". That just sounds like a track he'd do.

OBSERVATION: Hungate has stated Jeff had a pretty cryptic sense of humor and had a quick wit. Toward the end of "Heavy Fuel" there's a shot somebody takes at a ride cymbal bell, real quick "take THAT" sort of lick. Something tells me that's Jeff.

I'll keep digging 'til I find his name (or don't) on that track. I think it's in the interview with Keltner. We gotta find the answer to this one.

T

To me "Heavy fuel" it's Manu.
Because:
sec. 15: splash sound, typical of Manu;
1.14: again, small crash cymbal, it's Manu;
1.32: three stroke roll on hi-hat: it's Manu;
2.33: again, small crash cymbals, Manu;
2.47: spalsh cymbal;
4.20: the fill is not in the Porcaro style. Actually I've never heard JP playing this fill.

Plus, the hi-hat sound is not a Paiste sound, it's a Zildjian New or Quick Beat: it has a fatter sound but not lower not higher than a perfect medium, while I'd define the JP hi-hat sound more silky.
Again: the use of the toms and floor toms. Very "african", to me it's Manu, the way he plays tom fills it's very down-earthy, african, warm.
The sound of the snare and the way Manu plays very dragged-ghost notes in between backbeats.

To me it's Manu.