View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 AM

Default "Secret Agent" Jazz

I need a little help into attempting to pinpoint somewhat of a specific subgenre of jazz - the kind you hear in detective, secret agent, and sometimes super hero movies (though somewhat seldom in this day and age.) Very upbeat and rhythmic, often with features of bongos and electric guitar, but never forgetting a heavy focus on some slightly hectic saxophone and piano work. In my best guess it seems to be loosely based in the '60s. I know that's somewhat of a terrible description to go off of, but I really don't know what much else to do since I'm finding it so troublesome to really track down.

As an example (and for lack of a better one off the top of my head), I'd suggest much of the soundtrack of Pixar's The Incredibles, specifically the end credits (once again sorry for the very narrow specifics for what could be a somewhat loose subgenre of what I figure should be called Big Band.)

Recently I've had an unusual fascination with the sound and a hunger to hear a little more. I know it may seem a bit much to ask off such a shaky description, but if anyone thinks they know what I'm talking about and could possibly recommend some songs, albums, or even artists, I'd be eternally grateful.