Thread: Jack DeJohnette
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Jack DeJohnette

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
Absolutely! Even after all of these years, Jack's playing continues to touch me and move me emotionally like no other. True catharsis, in the classical Greek sense, where one is transported to a new territory of life and never the same again.

On "My Foolish Heart," the latest offering from the trio with Jarrett and Peacock (actually recorded back in 2001) Jack delivers more amazing performances--they even do a few numbers in Ragtime style! Trio Beyond's tribute to Tony Williams that was mentioned (Saudades) is incredible as well--that one spent a lot of time in my car's CD player when I got it last Spring.

Steamer, you have some real treasures there in the form of letters and tapes from Jack!

spleen
Always striving to be creative and super musical in any group situation you throw him in has put Jack on the top of my list Spleen. You can easily identify Jack in a few bars no matter the group just like all the other true originals in the history of modern jazz drumming. Jack also has an amazing handle on the complete history of jazz drumming which he can pull out of his musical pocket to surprise people at any given time. Saw him do Baby Dodds at a concert once and it brought the whole house down!. The man knows the history of the instrument and the music.

And yes you better believe it on point two.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan