View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Written Communication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Stoltman View Post
I'm a pretty frequent visitor to these forums and find a lot of interest in the posts I read here. One thing is getting increasingly frustrating for me. Many of the posts I read exhibit horrible writing skills. Please understand I'm not trying to be the "literature police" or just being elitist. The problem is that sometimes I have to re-read posts two or three times just to understand what the writer is saying. Some of this is just poor use of grammar, misuse of capital or lower case letters, some is incorrect spelling, some is mis-punctuation or the lack of it altogether. I usually take a look at the location or the writer. In some situations English is not the primary language of the author and of course that comes into consideration. However, when I see posts by people who are at least in secondary education in places like the US and UK butchering the language it leads me to wonder if they are not getting a decent education in the written word or if they just don't care. Am I the only stick in the mud that feels this way?
In the sentence that begins “Some of this is just poor use of grammar,” the first comma is used to separate clauses where a conjunction followed by a definitive article is actually required. The word "mispunctuated" is not hyphenated, and the syntactic construction "mis-punctuation or the lack of it" doesn't make sense. "UK" should be "the UK," otherwise you have a single definitive article marking multiple proper nouns. The word "lowercase" is not hyphenated. Perhaps by "location or the writer" you meant "location of the writer" as that would have made more sense. In your last sentence you use the incorrect object for the preposition in the relative clause. It should read "who feels," rather than "that feels," unless of course you are in fact literally a stick.

This is a forum for drummers, not grammarians, and I make no assumptions about the education level, language skills, or learning abilities of our contributing members. Therefore I never point out spelling, grammar, or stylistic errors, unless of course someone really begs for it.