View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: Dont tell me what to do!

i agree. it also depends on the situation. are you being paid? are you gigging? is this band your only viable option?

bermuda speaks from vast experience and certainly he has lived his own advice with weird al. but there has to be a balance. on the one hand you want to co-operate and serve the music and the song writer. on the other hand you want two things:

- you don't want to be a push over. how you react early on to these situation will set precidence over many future situations. argue sensible. give their ideas a go. let them know you are willing to try their ideas out but that you are also an artist in your own right.

- they must understand that you are a drummer. you study drums, listen to drums and have a broader and deeper understanding of drums than say a guitarist (unless they are also a drummer). their drumming ideas are often going to be limited to their limited experience unless they are seriously talented musicians (and these are far fewer than the amount of people out there who believe they are seriously talented). put it this way, if i was drumming for lenny kravitz and he told me he wanted to hear double bass then that's exactly what i would give him. but some dude in an unsigned band of hopefuls has got to have seriously impressed me with his skills before i would bow so easily to his ideas.

lastly ... remember, time is your friend. i have over the years resolved many such issues by seeming to agree and then slowly reshaping things my way over time anyway. for instance, my first serious band in south africa were a pop band going no where. this was in the early 90s. i joined and as the junior member i was instructed to play four on the floor pretty much all of the time. i argued that we should get heavier and more punk as a band. i was put down. but over the months i very slowly altered the way i played until, 4 years later when i left the band to come to london they were one of the new emerging numetal bands in south africa. and i consciously did this som i take credit for the direction they eventually went.

play double bass a little more, particularlyin practice but then begin to loose it here and there in the song structure at gigs. just remember to keep the heavy feel.

j

ps: and really lastly, sometimes the singer is right. so give their ideas a fair stab before rejecting. remember a little give might result in some take later on when you want something to happen in the creative department.

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw