Thread: Tre' Cool
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Tre' Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON
well emotional punk is in.

look, i've read this whole thread and i must say that some folks here do need to consider a wise old saying:

better to be quiet and let the world think you are a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

Tre cool is a very big part of greenday's sound and a clever drummer at that. there is a type of narrow minded generic snobbery on these types of threads. unless a drummer plays highly progressive jazz or rock (and in so doing prooves he has enormously varied chops) he cannot really be a great drummer. I don't care what anyone says, i know that, for example Phill Rudd is a great drummer. and he plays far more simpler stuff than tre. the fact is you need to look elsewhere on the scorecard and not just under 'can play very fast double bass' or 'can play very odd timesignatures' etc.

j

I definately agree. I think when a drummer starts to try to add too much "junk", he just messes the song up. Don't overdrum just to try to impress people you don't know. The trick is to fit the drumming to the style of the song / band. I also rate Charlie Watts along with Phil Rudd as classic drummers that keep it simple, they have perfect rythym and timing and are creative without becomming egocentric. "Satisfaction" is an easy one to use as an example: Basic beat throughout, but anything else would have made the song ordinary.
Tre' fits Greenday perfectly. He's not a Jazz drummer and he doesn't try to be, although he probably could be if he wanted to. I don't know the guy, don't know what he practices by himself. I doubt anyone else in this forum, who are bashing him, would know either!! Sounds like sour grapes to me....