Thread: the bad plus
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: the bad plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
Fourstrings - with that piece "Anthem for the Enthused" forget counting out 6 and think "3". Much easier to groove on. As far as odd times go, if you can make it easier on yourself, do it. No need to be counting out 1+2+3+4+5+6+ to know where you are. Also frees up your time/playing if you so desire.

Personally I don't hear any "african tribal" whatnot...

Well the drum parts clearly states a 6/4 feel based on 1/8th note flow if you want to hear it in a slow 3 you could do that too as long as it all lines up in the end. But just like in African rhythms you can hear it in different ways and it can meet at the same point. I studied West African drumming for several years and your "ear can hear rhythmic cycles and divisions and layering of rhythms in many different ways is one of the most important things I learned along with several other things.

The African influence comes from the tension and release of layering rhythmic lines over rhythmic lines and the use of syncopation clearly evident in the bass line in this piece which is the way I hear it which is what this piece is all about RHYTHM and GROOVE.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan