View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 04:53 AM
Gilded

Default Re: What's in Your Bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
I can't stand them. They're heavy, expensive, and I prefer the sound of wood tips. I don't snap sticks really anymore since I've adopted a looser grip, and I'm playing with lighter sticks (Vater New Orleans Jazz; 0.55" thick at the base). I can guarantee my sticks are costing less then yours and the replacement sticks (on a ratio of cost to playing time). I tend to get between 6 to 9 months out of a pair of sticks at the moment, and I replace them because the tip slowly chips away and becomes non-existent. I'd probably get a year out of nylon tips....
Your opinion is very valid. I can manage around 6-9 months with my sticks also, and friends who have the same sticks also agree. With your sticks, yes, they would suit your style of jazz or fusion but I don't play that. In my post you commented I should've mentioned I play heavier music. I like the bite sound of nylon tips over wood and I've found I save more money 'myself' by using the Ahead sticks more over wooden ones. The weight isn't an issue for me.