View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Attendance at gigs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw60 View Post
one possibility:

our main local newspaper has a section every Friday where they list all of the shows that are going on in the area. the listing is free - you just have to let them know about it.

same thing with another local entertainment weekly - they list every show they know about - you just have to make sure they know about it.
Yeah thats what ours does too, we've put ourselves on the show list for alot of our shows..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Obviously a web presence is important, but many people seeking entertainment won't look for or otherwise stumble across your site. They have to be reached in more traditional ways, such as:

You may want to see about playing the local colleges, where you'll be able to play in front of more people. Such gigs may not pay well, but that's okay - the students who like the band are likely to come see you at paid gigs. If you're playing bars & clubs with an age limit, that may be a consideration.

If there's a radio station with a program featuring local/indie bands, try to get an interview & airplay with them. Same for local-access cable TV.

If there's a local CD store, see if they'll let you do an in-store and sell your CD. If you don't have a CD... record one!

Solicit a story/interview in the local papers, freebies as well as your city's daily paper. If placing a 1/4 page ad for your gig will encourage them to do a story, it's probably money well spent.

And that last part is important: you're going to have to spend some money to make some money.

But good exposure and networking is not enough. You have to back it all up with the band itself. Are you doing covers, or originals? (or both?) Is there something about your band that excites the people who see you? In other words, what does your group do that people would make an effort to see & hear?

That's probably the first thing you need to examine, how marketable the band is. If you've got everything going for you, then by all means go out and market yourselves!

Bermuda
The local colleges sounds like a good idea, I'm sure alot of people there would dig us..
And the pay doesn't really matter to us right yet, for now a gig is a gig..

There is a few indie radio stations and also a few local podcasters, one of said podcasters contacted us about coming on his show, but no plans were ever really made after that...

I'd like to say our band is marketable, everyone who comes to our shows say we put on a good live show... And we do mostly originals, only 2 covers, which are just medleys anyways.. And we do have a CD, we're about to release an EP very soon actually, so maybe we can talk to some local CD's about selling our CD at their place..

Thanks everybody, you guys are really givin me some good advice!