View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Bryan Habana is a magician. There's simply no other explanation. I reckon it took about 7 secods for him to run 70m when he took that intercept and made a dash for a try. Definitley my favourite winger playing international rugby at the moment. I sometimes feel sorry for JP Pieterson, because Habana makes him look so inferior comparatively. Habana also broke Jonah Lomu's record for tries in a single world cup. On that note, did anyone else notice Jonah Lomu in the crowd; he gave a big dorky smile and wave to the camera.

Burger played well, although typical loose-forward 'dirty behind play' style. Got a yellow in the end. Percy Montgomery played like he always seems to; very effectively. Not a bad kicking percentage if I do say so myself. Os Du Randt did well, especially considering he played in the 95 team...

RSA 37 - Argentina 13
Burger didn't get the yellow. Juan Smith did (for his high tackle). But Burger and Contemponi were having a little discussion after the fact, and Walsh warned Contemponi that he would be following Smith if he didn't keep his temper in check. And two minutes later he lashes out at Butch James - smacks him in the face right in front of the ref. Very silly.

I think the Boks played the perfect game in the situation. Didn't try and run all the long kicks back. Just sent the ball back into the Argies' half and ran it from closer positions. Also tackled very hard - often gang-tackling - and pouncing on the spilt ball. Try time.

I reckon the Argies were way too emotional. Right from the start when they were balling out their anthem. You need a clear head to win a World Cup semi and theirs were everything but clear. But well done to them. They were a revelation and deserve to be taken seriously going forward. Not just the odd tour to SA and Europe. Perhaps joining the Tri-Nations or Super14?

As for next week, I don't want to jinx it but I think we have England's number. It won't be another 36-0, but I have a feeling the cup is coming home.

Oh, and then Ernie clobbered Angel Cabrera to win the World Golf Matchplay Champs at Wentworth for a record 7th time. So that's Argentina 0, South Africa 2 this weekend.