Thread: Thomas Lang
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Thomas lang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernervonwaltsleben View Post
im mostly into jazz playing and i try to lay down a descent groove and make it sound musical. so its something from both worlds for me.every educational thing helps your drumming, if you do a thomas lang exercise for instance, it helps for something else you might come up with which you can use in a musical way.i dont think im exactly making sense:-0
but i find it to play jazz, to groove, to be able to do the thomas lang, virgil donati stuff, it realy helps you expanding your vision on drumming and what you can create for a song or whatever.
damn, i just typed this so fast.so sorry if it sounds like im talking nonsense.
Although I don't really see how absorbing the musical vision of Lang or Donati helps your jazz playing, I do understand your cross training aspect. This is what I've been saying about Drumometer runs for the past 2 years. I don't get too excited watching a speed drumming run anymore than I do about incorporating aspects of Lang's musical direction into my playing, because /just IMO/ he leaves me cold. Still, I can certainly locate some aspect of his technical side, isolate it and say "OK, I can use that for what I want to do with my own music."

In my case for instance, working on that single stroke stuff sharpened up other things, which the detractors never seemed to understand. Instead they wanted to harp on the nonmusical aspects of what was really only a glorified practice exercise. And to me that was always a ridiculous thing to do. Now that I no longer participate so much in the actual competitions I find there are things I am now capable of musically that used to be beyond my grasp, and I think it's because I now have more colors to draw my picture.

So yeah, I can see how observing Lang from time to time can help someone reach a technical understanding that to them can lead to something more musical, without having to share that same opinion about Lang himself.