View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Jusstickinaround

Default Re: Kumu four piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Well, I did look into the possibility of free-floating heads, as that would be the purest form of shell. I company called MyMi was doing it but they went out of business. I settled for tube lugs, which are bolted to the shell in one place each. I ordered the bass drum without spurs, to minimize penetrations and bolting, and of course the bass drum is virgin and the toms are suspended.

I guess it's unavoidable to bolt some hardware to drums, such as lugs. But as a personal choice I try to do it as little as possible. Certainly, bolting 30 pounds of hardware to a shell isn't my cup of tea, but it's the dominant market approach for mass-market drum makers and most people have bought into that. Plus, I've heard some kits like that and they sound terrific anyway.

Thanks for your interest.
Actually, I have not one bit of interest at all in your kit or your discrimanation against hardware on the kick.
I truly believe people like yourself put more emphasis on trying to do anything you can to get a perfect drum sound to make up for the lack of skill involved in making your drums sound good.
I'll tell you why that company you mentioned called MyMi went out of buisiness......nobody bought there drums! Why? Because drums with no lugs look plain and lack character, and they don''t sound any better than drums with lugs. The same thing goes for drums with tom holders or without, I've owned drums with and without "virgin" bass drums, and have found no difference in sound from drums made of the same quality. Sometimes I'll hang my tom, using an L-arm, off a cymbal stand, but other times it's more convient to hang it off the kick, it depends if I want to mess with bringing a heavy stand as opposed to light weight stands.
I don't care if you agree or not, but get off your high horse.