View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

Some updates ahead of the weekends games...

France announce they will play a kicking based game against NZ. Dan Carter responds saying "When you kick you have to kick for a reason" in regards to that style of play, and that "I will be looking to step up to another level this weekend,"
This will definitely be the biggest match of the quarters.

Andy Farrell ruled out of the England vs. Australia match with a strained right calf muscle, while Australian centre Stirling Mortlock comes back into the squad after recovering from an injured shoulder.

NEW Zealand reserve No.8 Sione Lauaki has had his two-week ban overturned after a Rugby World Cup appeal committee ruled his tackle in a pool match last weekend was not dangerous.

ENGLAND five-eighth Jonny Wilkinson has praised Australia counterpart Berrick Barnes, labelling him "incredible"

Johnny Wilkinson and Jason Robinson will play together for a unsuccessful English team on October 6.

ex-Wallabie and king of the goose-step David Campese analysed the games of all teams playing in the quarters and said this about Scotland "I can't work out what the Scots are trying to do when they get their hands on the ball. I get the impression they have no idea either."
I think it's a fair call.

AUSTRALIA Rugby Union boss John O'Neill could be dragged before the game's world governing body over his banter about hating the English.
According to high-placed insiders, "a couple of members of the public" have written to the IRB saying they considered the O'Neill comments offensive and inappropriate. Several RFU officials were also "not too happy".
O'Neill refused to back down. "I stand by what I said," he replied. "Whether it's cricket, rugby league or rugby union, we do all hate England. All I'm doing is stating the bleeding obvious."
Fair call I think.

In about 60 or so hours the World Cup will be entirely of southern hemisphere teams.