View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

How many has Mitchell got? Six or seven?

Howlett must be up there somewhere too. And I think Habana has six now as well. Kind of reassuring that the top scorers are all wings. Means that the top teams fancy some open, running rugby. Although I see it becoming a lot tighter and more structured as the big guns start facing each other. No more of this sevens style game.

Australia should have too much in the tank for England. Amazing what the retirement of a few key players and the appointment of a mediocre coach can do to a team. They were dire against us, but should have a little more structure with Wilko in charge. A player like Sackey has to be shut down very quickly as he has so much pace and steps really well. I predict 32-16 to Oz.

France v NZ should be good too. Since their ballsup against Argentina, France have looked better and better in each game. NZ should still take it fairly comfortably, but can't allow themselves to become complacent. We all know what happened in '99. The French must be kicking themselves for allowing this QF to take place in Wales. But that's what happens when you prostitute yourself for World Cup votes.

Sorry for Scotland, but the way they've been playing the last year or so, Argentina are probably going to walk all over them. They might be playing a conservative brand of rugby, but the Pumas have been very clinical and effective in every game so far. I'm a little uneasy about a potential semi final against them. Particularly since we now seem to have lost all our tighthead props to knee injuries.

And that leaves just Sa v Fiji. Should be bruising, but I can't imagine the islanders posing a huge threat if we manage to keep it tight and tidy.

And that concludes my QF round-up. :)