Thread: Joe Morello
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Joe Morello

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickupsticks View Post
Can you please let me know on what CD or DVD Joe Morello's Short'N Bread is available. I have been trying to find that for quite some time. The '58 Newport Jazz CD listed on Amazon does not list Short'N Bread. I first heard it on the radio when I was a teenager back in a former British colony in the Indian Ocean.
Unfortunately although Brubeck and his original quartet played in that country during a national exhibition under the auspices of the US State dept I never got to see them because I was only into Dixieland jazz and could not appreciate mainstream jazz. Ironically, I attended that exhibition and was passing the "Greenhouse" with my two brothers when we could actually hear Joe Morello take one of his thundering solos!
I might add that a few years ago I attended the ceremony at Berklee College of Music's special event honoring Joe's musical contibutions which he attended and gave an exhibition of his drumming! I was also fortunate to see Dave Brubeck and his newer Quartet perform here in Boston on another occasion but i still very much regret missing seeing and hearing Brubeck's original quartet.
I would appreaciate as much details on the above recording as possible.
I just realized that Short/nin/Bread is actually on Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Gone With The Wind" CD which I had not accessed and listened to for quite awhile.