Thread: Dave Weckl
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Dave Weckl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Lund View Post
"He's not ( that we know of) as versatile as Vinnie for example, and he doesn't get as many jobs recording with artists as Gadd did or Vinnie does. But maybe he doesn't want to do that.."

I have all three of them lumped into the same category for me. Not sure what muzak in the world needs what you refer to as a more versatile Vinnie rather than Weckl...

I just feel there's a bit of a barrier between drummers of the jazz nature and the other drummers of many different kinds of nature - when they refer to players like Weckl and Vinnie and Bissionette as "jazz" drummers or "jazzy" or whatever. I don't know any serious jazz drummers who are listening to these guys for jazz...

Could just be me though.
this is true. pure modern jazz drummers are guys like lewis nash, watts, riley, stewart, erskine, etc. although out of those three up there i think vinnie is the most legit when it comes to straight up jazz. he just doesnt put himself in pure jazz situations that often. obviously weckl and bissonette can play jazz damn fine, but i think vinnie can dial in the style the best.