Thread: Alex Riel here!
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Default Re: Alex Riel here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdrummer34 View Post
I completely agree with everything you said. I know that if you let your mind get in the way you take away from where the music could and would have naturally gone. I also know that i can't practice when im hungry lol. But, I guess my question is coming from a more technical stand point. For me when i here cats like you and bill stewart and other musicians that aren't necessarilly famous for their chops, but for their feel, i have to wonder why. Not why they dont have chops but HOW they create that comfortable, floating, addicting feel; to the point where all you can do is bob your head to it. The reason i said the "second line" is because that music always gives me that feeling. I could listen to it all day and all night. But i think some drummers today fail to learn that stuff. I call it perpetual motion because feels never-ending, similar to how triplets feel like a revolution. I don't it's just been the concept on my mind lately.

Hi again Jay,

How to create "that comfortable, floating, addicting feel" ?

Hmmm tough question. All I can think of is that it comes down to listening, like I said in the previous post. Listening to the common musical output and how my drumming fits with it. And avoid playing stuff that will work as show stoppers! If you pay attention, your ears will tell you if the flow isn't there! When the music seems to "stutter" (don't know the right word in English?), then you're doing something wrong and need to change whatever you're doing. I never think about second line to be honest. I just play whatever feels right .. play "through my ears" so to speak.
I really don't know how to explain it from a technical point of view, lol ... probably because it's all about "feel" !! ;o)

Interesting question though. Feel free to ask again anytime!

Best wishes,
Alex