Thread: Mike Portnoy
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 02:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Mike Portnoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo View Post
Well, just wanted to point something out, Some people find it difficult to learn Mikes stuff, so even if one is gifted sometimes its hard to learn things like that. And "Naturally Talented" I think talent is an excuse for not practicing, now if you ask me Talent does not exist, I would say Skill exists. I prefer somebody telling me that I am skilled than talented, because talent would make it seem that I did not work hard enough, sometimes thats what people intend to say but for me I prefer it when people say I am skilled.

Now back to portnoy, even if one is "talented" its hard to learn his ways and try to imitate him because alot of what he does is His way of doing it, no drummer is going to imitate other drummers because every drummer I believe always try to improvise for the better so I think that even if one is an incredible drummer its hard to imitate someone that has different ways of doing things because every drummer is unique in every single way possible.

I bet I sound so confusing most of the time I don't even understand what I say,,, I hope you understand though!
I understand it all, our posts agree on nearly all points. I would disagree on your point on talent not existing. Talent is undeniable, it's just intangible. Some skills certainly can be learned with little or no pre-existing talent; with a musical instrument, however, it is talent which ensures those learned skills are put to use creatively, musically. Portnoy has a talent for assimilating rhythmic and rudimental ideas and creating his own voice with them. I would argue that someone like Vinnie Colaiuta displays huge amounts of natural talent given his ability to be musically expressive and satisfying in almost any style or genre he's called upon to play. Above all, he looks totally relaxed and masterly at the insrument. Sometimes natural talent can be identified just by feel, and learned skills alone can't acheive this.