Thread: Dave Weckl
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Dave Weckl

Dave Weckl = GREAT!

Bar none, one of, if not the most influential drummers of our times...
I am sure almost everysingle one of us picked up "Back to Basics", I know I did, andthat was the turning point for myself... I know before that video I was really into what I saw on Mtv, VH1, and just other drummers around. Mouth wide opened I would say "WOW I wish I could be like Lars Ulrich and Tommy Lee"... Well I went to Guitar Center and my dad and I asked the guy which video I can buy that will really give me a closer view of drumming and really just give me a new way of thinking... Well Back to Basics is what I got, and never stopped buying Dave's material there after...

His touch, technique, style, groove, solos is just simply great...

Ya his style may not be for everyone, but when talking about a drummer llike Weckl, I really really doubt we as musicians, not even drummers, just musicians, sit back and say "Naaa dont think I would wanna work with him"... IMHO, I think he is one of the most versital drummers out there...

Today there are a lot of other drummers that can come out and show their chops off, and really give an amazing solo...

But again, IMHO NONE of them have the feel of Weckl... Thomas Lang is probably the only one that MAY come close... And even Thomas Lang may have not had the same musical feel as did Dave, in Thomas's first instructional video... But I believe he is the closest...

Just my thoughts, my opinions, I have always been influenced by Weckl and continue to be...