View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD & BOOK REVIEWS

Mike Mangini's Rhythm Knowledge series

Price:
The 2 books and 2 cds cost 87$. Too expensive in my opinion.

Should You Buy it?
If you are into drum philosophy, intense practicing, and have some good money, it is worth checking out. If you dont have the money but still want to check it out, ONLY BUY the second book, it has all the excersizes. If you want to master subdivisions, get the second cd.. If you want a taste, check out the rhythmknowledge-online.com website.

Warning:
These are not "musical" or "groovin" studies. They are math, rhythm, and concepts

Star Rating:
# # #

Target Audience:
Intermediate- Advanced. It can also be used by all musicians but it is primarily for drummers

Rhythm Knowledge Volume 1: (25$)
This book is all concepts no excersizes. It is a short read. The writing is pretty inspirational, similar to what people write in the drummerworld forums. He says he gleaned information from neuroscience and psychology to help write this book. He really only scratched the surface and doesn't go into much depth. It sort makes you think "well the scientists were proving what we knew all along." His most concrete practice advice is to ingrain something into your nervous system practice it 90 min a day, 4 days a week, for 6 weeks. Its written very informally and talks about drumming and how it affects life.

Rhythm Knowledge Volume 2:
All the excersizes and some repeat information from volume one. Contains excersize called C & C limb system (can be found online somewhere). Teaches how and the importance of counting. Teaches all rhythmic subdivisions and lots of permutations of them. None of the excersizes are musical and they become very mathematical. Many pages are simply permutations of subdivisions. I consider this rather useless information, I don't ever plan on playing a group of 11 with 11th rests in it. It would be too difficult to apply it musically. The benefits though are the combinations of juxtaposed subdivisions. Playing these are very beneficial to the internal clock. The Counting aspect is very important. His advice on practice management is probably the most worthwhile. And C&C Limb system may be worth checking out.

Rhythm knowledge: CD 1: (18$)

CD# 1 is him counting the subdivisions. I DO NOT recommend this cd.

Rhythm Knowledge CD 2 (18$)

I like this one. What he did was record subdivisions next to each other. Ex: 2 bars of quintuplets and then 2 bars of septuplets. then these 4 bars repeat for 4 min. This really helps ingrain the subdivions into your memory so you can execute them. Playing one subdivision over and over doesnt really help, its the change in subdivisions that challenges your internal time. Thats why CD 2 is better than 1.

Last edited by Dispatched; 09-08-2007 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Necesito escribir mas cosas