View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Ryan Van Poederooyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drovja View Post
Hey Ryan, I'm curious, how did you get your first break as a drummer? Like, first touring band, whatever.
Hey Drovja,

I'm assuming you mean as a professional......

That would be for the Devin Townsend Band. Basically, I was doing a ton of session work around Vancouver, BC, Canada and getting a name for myself and I also played in a band called God Awakens Petrified which was a very popular metal band in Vancouver. My name got around town and Mr. Gene Hoglan (Strapping Young Lad) came and checked out a few of our shows and thought I was a cool drummer (I'll never forget the time when he came up to me after a show and gave me props... thats another story). So.... when Devin decided to form the Devin Townsend Band with members other than the guys in SYL, he asked Gene about drummers in Vancouver he thought would be cool for the gig. Gene recommended me to Devin as did many others (thats what Devin told me anyway). Dev called me, asked me to try out and the rest is history, as they say.

On a side note...

This is the advice I would give to you if you want to get your break in this industry....
- Practice your ass off with a click track and be at the top of your game at any given time.
- Gig as much as possible, get your face out there and be known.
- Stay positive and know that good things will come with hard work.

Hope that answered your question!

All the best,

RVP