View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Ryan Van Poederooyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnysimmo View Post
Hello Ryan! Amazing to have another pro on here. I have a question for you. If you could only practice for ONE hour of evry day, What would your routine be? And another question. What do you think the best way of developing foot independance? Sorry if im being a pain and welcome to the forum!
Hey Vinnysimmo,

Thanks for the welcome, I love this place! As for your questions :

I have a question for you. If you could only practice for ONE hour of evry day, What would your routine be?

When I do practice for an hour, I usually break my practicing routine into these exercises :

1. Hand Rudiments for 10 mins.
2. Feet Rudiments for 20 mins (Mainly for double bass reasons).
3. Displacement of beats and fills (with a click track) for 30 mins

This has changed over the years because you evolve and get certain things down faster than others but currently this is what I find myself doing. I use the rudiments to warm up and strengthen my hands and feet for control and speed. I use the displacement of beats and fills to expand on what I already know. You can never know enough in my opinion. This routine really works for me but remember, everyone is different.

Your other question :

What do you think the best way of developing foot independance?

What worked for me with my feet was practicing single stroke and double stroke rolls, along with triplets. I'd do these rudiments by themselves and then incorporate them into different beats while practicing with a click. I use to do that for an hour or two a day when I started double bass drumming. I would also practice various beats with my right foot as the lead kick, then with my left foot as the lead kick. As soon as I felt my right foot and left foot were fairly equal with eachother I started adding displacement beats and switching it up with my feet. It was a definite evolution for me, again everyone is different. I feel my feet are very strong because of the routine I went thru, although I'm still working on my feet to this very day. There is still much more i could learn and will learn.

For both questions, always have fun and know that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it, trust me on that one! Just practice your butt off and great things will always come!

All the best,

RVP

Last edited by RVP; 09-03-2007 at 03:16 AM.