View Single Post
Old 08-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I really don't like the idea of defending players being allowed to collapse the maul. I really, really do not think that is a good idea in the slightest. Having been in a few collapsed mauls myself (and having collapsed a few on purpose, including a charge down on one occasion where I went a little mental) I just think it's a recipe for some serious neck injuries.
I thought that too, but it seems alright so far. A heap of notable players have given it the thumbs up, including long-time Wallabies like Morgan Turinui. There just seems to be so much more rugby played in the 80 mins. One of the games this weekend had 250 tackles and over 100 rucks and mauls. Also, the bench is a little larger with an extra two players which I think is due to the physical fatigue the players (especially the forwards) are subjected to. It's great to watch; fast, aggressive, flowing, balls-out rugby. Just the way it should be.

Also, Melbourne city have their first professional rugby side now, the Rebels, and we're f'n ripping sh!t up! I love it, I'm gona buy a team jersey next week.