View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 11:09 PM
da cheese walks

Default Re: New kit...parents say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
Interestingly I hear the same argument from young people when they buy their first kit "Cmon Dad, buy me this kit, I swear Ill play it forever."

I dont want to sound like the voice of doom and gloom here, but youre about to eneter an age bracket in your life where everything is going to change for you. Your parents are probably wise to that and are trying to hold off.
Damo man....being honest...this is Karl were talking about here....i reckon Karl will never give up drumming,.and honest to jesus i can see us all years from now...all us younger ones anyway...sitting listening to some funky new age jazz with Karl playing on it...while we all lay in obscurity....if theres one guy who has a serious taste,knowledge,drive and just pure love for music its Karl....

Karl...i was in your situation....im only 18 now....i have horrifically expensive pursuits....drumming and photography....

when i was 16 i got my first kit for free...it was a PP....6 months after i got my first proper(unbroken!)snare...a Sonor Force 3005....my parents actually had reservations about lending me 150 for a snare...then i went on the search for a new kit....ill be honest i didnt have any kind of money for a proper,decent,custom or the like kit....so i went off an combined my two loves....i started working with my 70 camera,taking commissions and doing band photos etc...i got about 50 a gig...(profit that is)...i then went off and bought a Sonor kit....used and 400....maybe you can do some part timing?

i know it wasnt as drastic a price as your looking at....but i suppose this kind of has relevance::

im now buying a camera......type in "1960s Hasselblad" in your google browser and you should find one on ebay....theyre vintage,beautiful cameras...some of the finest lenses,mechanisms etc that one can own.....im in college now(doing photography)...ive been working,doing commissions for people,places etc....ive got saved up...and still my poor parents say "no"...they ask why i dont get a Zenza Bronica...a camera similar to the Hassleblad...

....im 18....im not an adult...im not mature....i KNOW this....they know this....but what i DO know is that i have a real and proper LOVE for cameras....for music too....so if i have the money for this camera(and you basically will have the money for your kit...)im going to go out and use it....get the best deal i can...im not a stupid guy....nor are you....youll find a deal...so will i....

So when i find that deal, and i tell my parents "I'm gettin that camera"...im going to go buy that camera and use it as best i can....my parents may be tutting and moaning, "why did you spend 1000 on a friggin camera?when you could have spent 600 or less..."....then all it takes is some beautiful,black and white prints....printed in my makeshift darkroom in my bathroom...and theyll go....."oh ok..."....not being cocky...but if i show them what i can do with that camera theyll accept it...i do know i could have done the same with the other camera....but the end justifies the means....

i know your smart enough to be able to get a good deal...a good kit...i know youll use it...you do too...your parents will have reservations for the rest of your life....when you have kids and a house and a musical career to boot, your parents will still go "Karl..."....but if you argue your case in a mature manner...explain the costs involved...which are not unreasonable...your parents may accept it....hopefully they do...and if they do show them it wasnt the wrong decision....

if they dont accept it, a year and a half isnt too long......

wooooo....long!!!apologies!