View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: New kit...parents say no.

Quite the dilemma indeed... I'm assuming the tama you have is a standard 5 piece kit? And I gather from what you've said you want a kit in smaller sizes. Since your parents (can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em) aren't allowing you to buy a new kit, there are a few things you could potentially do to create the feel of a smaller kit on your tama. In fact these are things ive done to my stage custom (12, 13, 16, 22) to make it a suitable jazz kit. First of all you might want to go out and buy coated ambassador heads as resonant and batter side heads for your bass drum. Tuned reasonably high, with little to no muffling and no port, this will give your bass drum a wide open tone similar to that of a smaller bass drum, and a similar response. Another (slightly more expensive) route you could go is to fabricate or buy a bass drum cradle (still much less cash involved than buying an entire new kit) and use your largest tom as a bass drum, and bring your 2nd mounted tom down to a floor tom position. Sure, your toms will be quite small, but they will nevertheless blend in nicely with your bass drum. Keep in mind this option will only yield a 4 piece kit. Hope this helps a bit, and always remember, it's the drummer that makes the equipment sound good, not the other way around!

ethanos