View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New kit...parents say no.

I wouldn't sweat it too much man. I'm surprised though they think you would lose money by selling a kit for 1000 then buying another for 800, but maybe there is more to it than that. You have a couple of great kits right now, especially for your age. At 16 I lucked out when I bought my first kit, my Radio King, for $5 because the guy wanted to get it out of his attic. Of course, I didn't have any toms at first (the one that came with it had no mount). I cracked the crash pretty quickly, so only used hats for a long time. The kick pedal and snare stand fell apart a lot, and I had to fabricate half of the hat stand myself. I remember buying my first crash at 18. Someone had given me a ride prior to that, that I kind of used as a crash as well.

When I bought my Superstar kit this year, that was the first time I ever bought a new kit after having been a drummer for twelve years. Of course now the gear bug has bit me, but I can't go buck wild since I have a couple kiddos. heheheh I'm also considering selling my Superstar and my Rolands to instead build my own four to six piece, with large size shells (24, 12, 14, 18, 20, 14). I think it would suit the music we play better. I bought the Superstar because I thought the sizes would allow more versatile playing, but the more I think about it the more I realize maybe I should have gone with my first gut feeling of wanting larger drums when shopping around months ago. Of course, those kits were out of my price range at the time.