View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD & BOOK REVIEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
I thought i would give it an official review

NAME:
JOJO MAYER - SECRET WEAPONS FOR THE MODERN DRUMMER - A GUIDE TO HAND TECHNIQUE.
STAR RATING:
# # # # # #
WORDED RATING:
Hilarious and visually educating.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
Any level
PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Ltd
DESCRIPTION:
If you don't know who Jojo is then I suggest checking him out here (http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/JOJO_Mayer.html). If you do know him, then you will also know that they man is a genius drum 'n bass wizard and a master of technique. He really has made studying technique his speciality and he has even refined some techniques to the point where he quite rightly names them after himself (eg: the mayer/moeller). His teaching explanations are excellent and clear and often voiced over slow motion, CGI visual demonstrations. Potential problems are highlighted and possible solutions are given, including many exercises to help build up your chops. There is a great, balanced amount of philosophy, particularly Jojo's practice quotes at the end of the second disc, which add depth to the whole work. Camera angles and close ups are very well chosen to help you learn. Add to that a great sense of humour, lovely snippets of Jojo drumming in and around New York and nearly perfect presentation throughout and you have, in my opinion, the finest instruction DVD available. This beats Thomas Lang'sincredible DVDs for educational value and is on par with Chad Smiths for charisma. Well done and thank-you Jojo.

I received this video recently, and hadn't had a chance to view it......Simply the best hand technique instruction I've ever seen, including private lessons. The CG illustrations are priceless, and his sense of humor is hilarious.

BTW, did anyone notice the special thanks to Bernhard? That was nice.

SRJ

Last edited by n2xlr8n; 08-06-2007 at 03:21 PM.