Thread: Ludwig Fan Club
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Ludwig Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigvondrumcrazy View Post
Latz, I can't say about the crossover you mentioned but do know that the Rockers came on when the Standards were dropped so nothing would surprise me at this point. I know of some who think because something is a certain way that all of the "others" from that line, or time frame, had to be the same way. There is a local guy who worked at Ludwig throughout the 60's and he said that many liberties were taken to use up old stock or they would use "something" that was "close" if they ran out of certain parts.
I asked him that specific question after coming across odd-ball stuff more than once that, from all appearances, weren't done by some Drummer over the years, which is another major factor, or should I say hinderance, when trying to figure out an old Outfit, or Drum. Things get changed, fixed or whatever over the years that you will never, no matter how hard you try, figure out. Because of this I started using a saying that I must have heard somewhere, "It is what it is."

I also knew about the Standard (original 1968-71 Line) using the 3-ply Shells and have recommended them to others based on that fact.
I also dig the Strata Finishes....................

LVDC
I agree, the Strata finishes were/are some of the coolest. My sources tell me the same of varying practice at Ludwig. It's kind of a shame, but I imagine the orders were piling up so whatever it takes to get 'em out the door!

Do you ever make it down to Chi-town for the Vintage/Custom show? The guy that runs/has the booth with Bun E., has around 60 (yes, sixty) Old Ludwig kits. His house is like a museum. It is one of the most incredible sites. He also collects other vintage kits, but he has mostly Ludwigs.

I don't think many know about the shell thing in the Standards, but I'm sure word is creaping out......