View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

Ha ha - don't count them chickens just yet.

I also realise the AB's have the depth to be able to rotate and rest and still get the results. But if the Aus and Kiwi rugby unions are arguing principles here -and the principle is to always field your strongest match22 (against first tier countries) - then it should apply to everyone. Just my take on it.

Plus, SA currently has the best depth in their squad for as far as I can remember. Some of these guys on tour are playing for their World Cup tickets and I think you might just be surprised by some of the lesser known names. The guy replacing John Smit in the squad is called Bismark du Plessis. He'll probably feature off the bench and his brother, Jannie, might get a start at tighthead prop. Both of them have a bright future in SA rugby. Also, openside flanker Wikus van Heerden has a real chance of going to France as Schalk Burger's back-up, if he puts in some big performances in the next two games. Much to prove, so neither game will be a walk-over by any stretch of the imagination.