Thread: Mike Portnoy
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Mike Portnoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin' Jamin View Post
Mike Portnoy is nothing special. I know everyone is gonna hate me for saying that. But, seriously, I have yet to hear Mike do something that makes me say ooh-ahh. I own two of his CDs and I definately don't listen to them for the drumming. It's so uncreative, so uninventive- and progressive music is supposed to be just that. I can predict every note he is going to play. RLFF fills are for newbies... and apparantly for Mike Portnoy. I hear everyone say he is such a great technichal drummer. Whatever. Tell me exactly where to find something technical if I'm missing something. A true technical drummer is somebody like Virgil Donati, Danny Carey, Bill Bruford, Thomas Lang, ect.

While I respect your opinion, I believe you are completely off the mark when it comes to your statement about creativity. My God, the man is consistantly creating off the wall rhythms to play.

You can say he doesn't have the "feel" of a Bonham, but come on. Creativity is one Mike's strongest assets as a drummer. The guy IS progressive drumming. Consistantly voted best prog drummer. He is the most influential prog drummer ( I don't consider RUSH prog, so don't compare him to Neil) of the current generation.