View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: HARDWARE DIY/MODS/REPAIRS THREAD

CONVERTING A STICK DRUM TO A HAND DRUM

I got one of these foot-controlled variable-pitch Talkit drums last year at www.b-radpercussion.com. He has stick and hand models and the stick models have standard Remo drumheads and triple-flanged hoops, while the stick models have conga-style rims and goatskin heads.

I wanted the ability to play my Talkit by hand, yet still keep the option to play with sticks. So I used a hacksaw and Dremel to remove the rim of the hoop, exposing the head where it goes over the bearing edge, much like a Comfort Curve conga or bongo rim. The drum uses cables to control tension and the cables are anchored to the hoops with eye bolts and nylon lock nuts. I removed the lock nuts and got some low-profile carriage bolts and extra-deep connector nuts.

As a result, I can comfortably play this with my hands, or incorporate it into my drum set for stick playing. Aside from chopping the hoop, I have done nothing permanent to change this remarkable instrument and I could put it back to OEM with little effort.

Close up showing chopped hoop, carriage bolt and deep nuts.

As played in percussion setup. The foot pedal for controlling the Talkit drum is between the conga stands and a bicycle cable connects with the drum's pulley system.