View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
Don't really want to get involved in a scrum technique discussion as these things can get ugly. But BJ Botha is probably one of the most technically-correct tightheads in world rugby today. Stories of him scrumming in are simply fed to the media to counter similar allegations of the past few years about the Oz front row (and paticularly Bill Young). It's a classic tit-for-tat business. And as for engaging early - I think the young English ref had a very good game except for this part. His pauses between the "crouch... pause... touch... engage" commands were way too long and were a recipe for disaster. Plus the Oz front row seem to shift laterally - particularly on defensive scrums underr pressure - just before engagement, making a square hit very difficult. Just my 2c worth.
Yeah, that's cool. I don't mind avoiding an in-depth front row technique discussion. I played loose-head through school rugby so I 've had a few conversations about it in my time; it's not the most riveting stuff to talk about.
And being technically proficient doesn't mean he chooses to work around the laws a bit. There are plenty of guys that will break the rules for as long as they can; until they get pulled up at least. I also did notice the length of space in his scrum calls, but really, you're talking about the world's best scrummagers and they should be able to hold their postition for and extra half a second before the engage. Don't you think?
Just my 2c worth...