Thread: Mike Portnoy
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Mike Portnoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin' Jamin View Post
Mike Portnoy is nothing special. I know everyone is gonna hate me for saying that. But, seriously, I have yet to hear Mike do something that makes me say ooh-ahh. I own two of his CDs and I definately don't listen to them for the drumming. It's so uncreative, so uninventive- and progressive music is supposed to be just that. I can predict every note he is going to play. RLFF fills are for newbies... and apparantly for Mike Portnoy. I hear everyone say he is such a great technichal drummer. Whatever. Tell me exactly where to find something technical if I'm missing something. A true technical drummer is somebody like Virgil Donati, Danny Carey, Bill Bruford, Thomas Lang, ect.
No hate here. You are entitled to your opinion. As far as not liking Mike, OK. He can be repetitive. But that aside. You have to admit he is very intense when it comes to his ability to play in odd times and change from one odd time to another. And just because one drummer is not as technical, complex or fast as another does not mean that the drummer is not good. He just may not appeal to you. Which is fine by me.
If you like Dream Theater's style of music check out Vox Tempus. Very, very Dream Theateresque. Gregg Bissonette plays on the CD. And I believe it is some of his best playing. Gregg's my favorite and I am familiar w/ his rock and jazz playing. This just shows another side of Gregg's incredible playing ability. One I didn't know he had.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com