View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
Yep, Habana took a knock to the knee near the end of the second England test and they're still debating whether he'll be in Saturday's squad or not. And I agree, he's just about the most exciting thing to emerge in SA rugby in recent years. His match-up with Tuquiri would be worth the admission price alone. If he's left out he'll most likely be replaced by JP Pietersen - tall, young wing from the Sharks who ended up top try scorer in the Super14. But still a little raw around the edges and not quite in Habana's league yet.

What's the Oz team like for Saturday? Is Drew Mitchel there? And Cameron Shepard? And will Giteau be playing at 12? You guys still have one of the most lethal backlines in the world - just need a couple of props to replace Dunning, Rodzilla and Baxter.

Also, I wouldn't read too much into the results of the past few weeks' internationals. Ireland, England, France and even Wales didn't send full strength teams on tour. These away test were all about resting players involved in club and regional finals as well as testing possible depth in several positions. Come WC time, I'd say anyone of SA, OZ, France, Ireland and even England have a fair chance at upsetting the Kiwis.

Honestly hope it's us though.
The tuquiri-Habana match up was exceptional, especially as they are such different players in most aspects. As far as our scrum goes, it's probably better than it has been for a couple of years. Rodney Blake is still injured I think, and wose still he's slimmed down a bit by the looks of things. I still think the best bit of every game or rugby played last year was Rodzilla somehow ending up on the wing in general play against England and receiving a pass, I think he got a run up from about halfway and he was flying along. The only player between him and the try line was a guy who looked about 80kg, and he was stationary on the try line. Blake absolutely smashed him; it was brilliant!

I'm not sure about the team for the weekend, I'll look it up on rugby.com.au now and see if I can find something. Although, I'm almost certain it will be the 9, 10, 12, 13 combo of gregan, larkin, giteau and mortlock. Drew Mitchel has some competition for the wing now tht Digby Ione is in the side; he is seriously talented.