View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
About time you showed up!... ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty confident in the abilities of the RSA boys at the moment, especially the forwards and whatever wing Habana plays on. Something funny about our upcoming game; they dropped Lote Tuquiri from the squad for the Welsh games as an incentive for him to work harded, but also to really work on his speed to make him more of a match for Brian Habana. The press has been eagerly anticipating this game for that match up, and Habana now isn't playing! It's interesting though, when they play on each other. I was at the Aus vs RSA game last year where we flogged you around the park. I think the highlight was the Habana Tuquiri matchup; Tuquiri has him more than covered in strength but if he gave Habana too much space, he'd fly straight past him. It was very interesting to watch, and there was a lot of ball on that wing. I rate Habana as my favourite winger playing the international circut at the moment, and probably third all-time favourite (Ben Tune second and Lomu first, when they were in their prime of course).
Yep, Habana took a knock to the knee near the end of the second England test and they're still debating whether he'll be in Saturday's squad or not. And I agree, he's just about the most exciting thing to emerge in SA rugby in recent years. His match-up with Tuquiri would be worth the admission price alone. If he's left out he'll most likely be replaced by JP Pietersen - tall, young wing from the Sharks who ended up top try scorer in the Super14. But still a little raw around the edges and not quite in Habana's league yet.

What's the Oz team like for Saturday? Is Drew Mitchel there? And Cameron Shepard? And will Giteau be playing at 12? You guys still have one of the most lethal backlines in the world - just need a couple of props to replace Dunning, Rodzilla and Baxter.

Also, I wouldn't read too much into the results of the past few weeks' internationals. Ireland, England, France and even Wales didn't send full strength teams on tour. These away test were all about resting players involved in club and regional finals as well as testing possible depth in several positions. Come WC time, I'd say anyone of SA, OZ, France, Ireland and even England have a fair chance at upsetting the Kiwis.

Honestly hope it's us though.