Thread: Alex Riel here!
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Default Re: Alex Riel here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
hi alex

sorry to load you up with questions when you get back on the forum but here's another one...

in the August 1992 issue of modern drummer there was a great and useful article titled: THE 25 GREATEST DRUM RECORDS. because of it i bought steely dan's AJA in a time when i was almost exclusively addicted to AC/DC.
they wrote this article by researching across the industry but in particular they asked some of the top guys for their top ten selections. i'm hoping to do a similar thing here on DW and post the reults in a separate thread eventually.
So if you would be so kind please give us a list of your own top ten (perhaps your current top 10) records/albums. it would be helpful if you identified your favourite out of those and dropped in a line why it is so...but this is not totally necessary. think of it like if you were going to be locked in a remote log cabin for a whole winter, which 10 albums would you take, if 10 were all you could take?

thanks
j
Here's a bunch of favourites:

John Coltrane "Africa/Brass" (Elvin)
Sonny Rollins "A Night At The Village Vanguard" (early Elvin)
Miles Davis "Milestones" (Philly Joe Jones)
Count Basie "The Atomic Basie" (Sonny Payne)
Ralph Towner "Solstice" (Jon Christensen)
Tommy Flanagan Trio in Stockholm, 1957 (Elvin playing brushes!)
Ella in Berlin "Mack The Knife" (Gus Johnson)
Wayne Shorter "Speak No Evil" (Elvin)
Clifford Brown with strings (Max Roach)
Rolling Stones, "Got Live If You Want It" (Charlie Watts)
Fats Waller "Ain't Misbehavin" (Zutty Singleton)
Krupa and Rich (!!)
Thelonious Monk "Misterioso" (Roy Haynes)
Toots Thielemans "Slow Motion" (well, that's me on drums .. but it's a brilliant record nevertheless!!)
Armstrong with Big Sid Catlett!!!

All the best,
Alex

Last edited by Alex Riel; 05-30-2007 at 05:00 PM.