Thread: Elvin Jones
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Elvin Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbdrums View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that Elvin overplayed, particularly on "A Love Supreme"? The stuff he did sounds amazingly difficult, but it really sounds like too much, especialy for a jazz record. Honestly, I don't think a drum solo has a place on a jazz record at all. Granted, he was clearly talented, and far better than I could ever hope to be, but I don't think he played well within the context of the song.

Sorry if I upset anyone. That was certainly not my goal. Also, if I came off as condescending, I apologize. In fact, on the contrary, I will be the first to admit that I am largely ignorant to jazz music and jazz drumming. This is precisely why I would like to why know no one else has mentioned this.
You kind of made my heart drop ... Obviously a tear has never left your eye after listening to it. I read some of the book A Love Supreme. If you knew what it all meant you would not have said that. Those statements sometimes make me want to stop what i do and get a desk job. But it's ok go back and listen to it some more. See if you can feel the aurora coming out of your player. Its really strong man real strong.

Sorry if i got dark, just that piece means a lot to me.