View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Derek Roddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
I would tell you the same thing now as I did then.
I think to many drummers worry about technique rather than worring about hard work and dedication. As if some magical thing is going to happen by finding a "technique".
You would still have to put MANY hours into developing ANY technique. I find the whole idea of "a technique" to make things easier.....
a bunch of hogwash!!!!
For example....
If you pulled 100 NON drummers out of their cars on the way to work, put them behind a drum kit and asked them to make that little round ball hit the plastic head....... EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM are going to do it one of 2 ways....heel up or heel down.
I defy ANY of you to come up with another way to make the beater hit the head. You CAN'T!!!!! What, you're going to play the stroke with your knee???? I know... just reach down and play with your hand! LOL.
I hope you guys can see where searching for a technique to do something for you is leading down a road of never getting there.....which might be why you don't want to accept the answer.
The ONLY technique any of us NEED to know is PRACTICE!!!!!
Cheers
D.
That is the best advice anyone can give.

To many drummers worry about technique and the technical asspects of drumming. I can say that i used to be like that also. Trying to find a technique that will hopefully make things easier.

My drum teacher simply said you dont practice enough. Although i didnt want to accept that, that was the problem. So i went home and from that day forth i practice rudiments everynight on the pad and everything else. And what do you know, i improved faster than i ever had. Of cource i practiced before hand, but i think there is a large difference between a little practice and complete dedication to the instrament.

As for your videos Derek you completely blow my mind. I know you would hear that from everyone but my god you are unreal. Keep it up man!

Do you have myspace? Mine is www.myspace.com/newxpain. You ll notice your in my inspirations haha.

If you also have it could you please link me up so i can send you a FR.