View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Derek Roddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
i have a little bit of an issue with derek roddy.let me say why.i e mailed him some time ago (about 2 years ago) and asked him about his bass drum technique.i wanted to know how he played so fast and what his technique is.i was asking because i really wanted to learn.well,he was cool enough to get back to me real quick but all he really had to say was stuff like "just play your drums,and "everybody is different, what works for one person might not work for another").well this info he gave me is all well and good but i really wanted to find out HIS bass drum technique because it MIGHT just work for me.so i e mail him back and ask again if he can just tell me his technique and he does not respond.i figured it was not to much to ask just asking what his technique was (i say this as a drum teacher myself).
so now i see quotes of him saying things like he wants to get into education and helping other drummers out.but if hes not even willing to tell me,a fellow drummer,something as simple as what his bass drum technique is how is he going to get into educating other drummers about drumming?
don't get me wrong,i hold no ill will towards derek at all.as a matter of fact i would still love to take some lessons with him and think that he is an awesome drummer, but i just see somewhat of a contradiction in terms of what he is telling magazines in interviews and what he is actually doing when it comes to helping out other drummers technique and playing wise.

I would tell you the same thing now as I did then.
I think to many drummers worry about technique rather than worring about hard work and dedication. As if some magical thing is going to happen by finding a "technique".
You would still have to put MANY hours into developing ANY technique. I find the whole idea of "a technique" to make things easier.....
a bunch of hogwash!!!!
For example....
If you pulled 100 NON drummers out of their cars on the way to work, put them behind a drum kit and asked them to make that little round ball hit the plastic head....... EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM are going to do it one of 2 ways....heel up or heel down.
I defy ANY of you to come up with another way to make the beater hit the head. You CAN'T!!!!! What, you're going to play the stroke with your knee???? I know... just reach down and play with your hand! LOL.
I hope you guys can see where searching for a technique to do something for you is leading down a road of never getting there.....which might be why you don't want to accept the answer.
The ONLY technique any of us NEED to know is PRACTICE!!!!!
Cheers
D.