View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Metal Bands, suggestions?

Hi everybody. I'm new. I've been lurking here for quite awhile now, and thought I'd make my debut in a thread about something I actually know jack about.

Mapex589 had it right when he said there are many subgenres of metal out there. They're all very different, so I'm going to recommend some albums from different subgenres and you can check them out to see if you like any of it, and you can PM me for more albums in the subgenres you like. Sorry in advance if this post is long-winded, but I have trouble keeping my mouth shut about metal.

Disembowelment - Transcendence into the Peripheral: First off, don't let their name fool you. Their lyrics aren't vulgar or violent at all, and I have no idea why they chose this name for their band. Anyway, this is the only doom metal album I own, and it also happens to be my Favorite Metal Album of All Time. Being a doom metal album, the tempos are extremely slow (like 60 bpm) most of the time. The music, including the drums, is very simplistic, but quite beautiful at times, especially on the last two tracks. The drums sound great, though. The perfect raw, underproduced sound, IMO.

Taake - Hordalands Doedskvad: My second favorite metal album of all time, and it's a black metal album. All of the instruments are stellar on this album, and the songwriting in general is absolutely fantastic, although I have no clue as to what the lyrics are about because they're written in some old form of Norwegian. Drum-wise, there's quite bit of double bass and the occasional odd time signature. Overall it sounds quite complex, but I'm new to drumming, so I'm not sure if it really is as hard as it sounds.

Entombed - Left Hand Path: The quintessential old-school Swedish death metal album. Swedish death metal has very little double bass drumming in it. Most of the beats are punk-like and create a surprisingly groovy feel, and there may be some blast beats here and there. "Bitter Loss" is my personal favorite song on this one.

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky: This is a more traditional black metal album. Very simple and straight forward drum-wise. This album, as a whole, is just fun to listen to. It sounds like Darkthrone aren't taking the whole "black metal" thing seriously (I could elaborate on that if you want) and are just having fun. And besides, there's a freakin' cowbell on a couple of the songs. Seriously.

Sorry again for the length, but I wanted to give you a good idea of the albums before you listened to them. Keep in mind that these albums are in more extreme subgenres of metal and all of them have harsh vocals that may take some getting used to. I also brought up more obscure bands that people don't seem to listen to much anymore. Just so you know they're out there. Or something.