View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Derek Roddy

i have a little bit of an issue with derek roddy.let me say why.i e mailed him some time ago (about 2 years ago) and asked him about his bass drum technique.i wanted to know how he played so fast and what his technique is.i was asking because i really wanted to learn.well,he was cool enough to get back to me real quick but all he really had to say was stuff like "just play your drums,and "everybody is different, what works for one person might not work for another").well this info he gave me is all well and good but i really wanted to find out HIS bass drum technique because it MIGHT just work for me.so i e mail him back and ask again if he can just tell me his technique and he does not respond.i figured it was not to much to ask just asking what his technique was (i say this as a drum teacher myself).
so now i see quotes of him saying things like he wants to get into education and helping other drummers out.but if hes not even willing to tell me,a fellow drummer,something as simple as what his bass drum technique is how is he going to get into educating other drummers about drumming?
don't get me wrong,i hold no ill will towards derek at all.as a matter of fact i would still love to take some lessons with him and think that he is an awesome drummer, but i just see somewhat of a contradiction in terms of what he is telling magazines in interviews and what he is actually doing when it comes to helping out other drummers technique and playing wise.